Lets explore the benefits of radiant barrier roof sheathing and how it can help save on your energy bill! It works as a layer of aluminum is placed in an airspace to block heat from transferring between a heat-radiating surface and heat-absorbing surface.
The aluminum foil used in the radiant barrier sheathing stops up to 97% of the radiant heat from passing through to your attic. This is extra beneficial for people who live in the southern part of the US and experience warmer clients. In the heat of the summer having a radiant barrier roof will keep your home up to 30% cooler. This is a perfect addition to having a total energy-efficient home.
Adding this extra step for future cost savings is relatively easy and can be installed at the same time of the regular sheathing for your roof!
What are the benefits of having a radiant barrier roof?
- A cooler attic space means less heat moving to the cooler space below the attic.
- The hotter it gets the better radiant barriers work.
- The reduced attic temperature increases the efficiency of attic ductwork which prolongs the life of your heating and cooling systems because there are fewer cycle times.
- In warmer climates your may be able to reduce A/C requirements by up to ½ ton.
- Radiant barrier roof sheathing helps to improve comfort in the building interior during the warm summer months and reduces energy costs. Because heat always moves from hot areas to cold areas, radiant barrier sheathing also prevents heat transfer from the warm interior during the cooler winter months.
- Radiant barriers may help you qualify for Energy Star: “Seal and Insulate with Energy Star”.
McKee Homes adds radiant barrier sheathing to all of our roofs on our homes which is just one of the many benefits we provide to all of our home owners! To read more about all of other benefits including being Apple Homekit compatible click here!