Meet Elias & Taryn, soon-to-be newlyweds and owners of a brand-new beautiful Brooks European floor plan in our Hanover Reserve Community (Wilmington, NC)! We are following their home buying and building experience from start to finish to give you a real glimpse into designing your new home.
The first part of the home buying process (and the most fun!) after signing a contract: selecting the personal touches that will make your house a home!
When you choose to build a new home with McKee Homes, you get the exciting and unique opportunity to work with our talented Design Consultants to make your dream home come to life. We have two fully-stocked Design Studios conveniently-located in Fayetteville and Leland, NC, housing a variety of selections available to touch, see and experience, including:
- Carpet samples
- Exterior finishes, like stone and siding
- Lighting and plumbing fixtures
- Kitchen cabinet options
- Flooring, including kitchen and bath tile, as well as living area hardwood laminate
- Countertops and backsplash
- And much more!
So, what’s the custom design process like for Elias and Taryn (and you, too)?
Once you put a contract on a home, your New Home Sales Consultant will review exterior design features with you, including home, shutter and front door colors, siding (vinyl siding or cement-board siding–per neighborhood), trim, windows, and stone.
Distinctive to the European elevation that Elias and Taryn chose, the castle-like façade of this particular home features a blend of architectural elements including stone for added texture, romantic arches, charming window shutters and graceful, yet grand front porch columns that give, all of which they were able to personalize themselves.
Once the exterior characteristics of the home are chosen, home buyers will attend a showing at one of our Design Studios. A Design Consultant will offer you drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and light appetizers and give you an in-depth tour of the entire design studio, educating you on the available design selections that come both standard and as upgrades for your specific floor plan. Then, the Design Consultant will guide you through selecting your home customization’s, including but not limited to:
- Interior paint color
- Maple cabinets: with a variety of colors and styles to personalize your bathrooms and kitchen
- Countertops: a selection of granite and quartz colors, standard kitchen sinks (50/50 or 60/40 stainless steel sinks) or sink options to include single basin, apron front stainless steel or white farm house.
- Cabinet hardware: included in our Autograph series, or an option that can be added to the Heritage Series
- Kitchen backsplash: a variety of colors and styles that are continually updated to follow current trends
- Cultured marble: for bathroom countertops
- Flooring: a variety of laminate, carpet, vinyl, tile or upgraded engineered hardwood (depends on neighborhood included features)
- Carpet pad: additional options or included carpet pad
- Lighting: included neighborhood lighting or other options to fit your style
- Plumbing fixtures: kitchen and baths in a variety of finishes/styles
- Appliances: Whirlpool packages, or individual Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid Pro appliances
“They were a very fun couple and their Selections were right on trend!” said Lara Jimerson, Senior Design Consultant, of the couple. “Like a white kitchen with quartz and gray marble back splash and gray cabinets in the bathrooms with a tiled master bath.”
“Our experience was amazing. Lara was so helpful in both accommodating our decisions and giving us just the right amount of input to make this our dream home,” said Elias and Taryn. “This is our first home we have ever purchased and the Design Studio was one of the best parts. Lara was so welcoming and willing to help. She even stayed later since we were a little indecisive in making our decisions! She was so patient with us and we highly recommend her and McKee Homes to all future homeowners.”
It’s our experienced Design Consultants job to make the selections appointment both fun and stress-free! If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the process, be sure to check out our 10 Tips for New Home Selections.
Click images below to get a sneak peak into both of our Design Studios before you come:
If you’re interested in learning more about designing your dream home or the home buying process in general, feel free to fill out the form below or call one of our New Home Specialists at 910-672-7296.